Monday, June 25, 2007

Wisdom or Youth?

This poem is one of my all time favourites, I share this with you guys alongwith the questions it always brings for me.


Wisdom


When I have ceased to break my wings
Against the faultiness of things,
And learned that compromises wait
Behind each hardly opened gate,
When I have looked Life in the eyes,
Grown calm and very coldly wise,
Life will have given me the Truth,
And taken in exchange -- my youth.

- Sara Teasdale





What would you want, if you had the choice? and in that is hidden the question, what would you do?




If you knew this profound truth that the wisdom you get is at the cost of your spirit, your youth; what would you do? Would you still wager your lost wars and trudge alone for the endless quests? Which end of the bargain would you go for?




Me?? I think my choices were made for me, I'm wired in a certain way and that takes care of stuff like this. I don't have to wonder too much about them. Its always the heart. The head may know all that's there to know, but its always the heart, the instinct that I go by. Isn't that what the question is?



Give me the wings, and I will not hesitate to break them against every possible faultiness. No doubt life may be easier , for now, if I could digest the compromises. But, Youth I must have, as its the flow of life itself! (And I do hope you don't confuse youth with age here.)



Wisdom ... I don't worry about much, they say I was born with an older soul ;)

1 comment:

Serendipity said...

It's the dream afraid of waking, that never takes a chance,
The heart afraid of breaking that never learns to dance.

For years ive tried to think through my head. but i guess my heart changed my mind about that again.